View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There are many things to consider with torque converters. For one, what type of loads do you pull and on what terrain? If you tow medium to light loads on flat to mildly hilly terrain, a stall in the range of 2800-3000 rpm is probably fine. If you tow really heavy loads or on really long, steep hills you're probably better off with the lower stall like 2400-2600 rpm. My buddy has an RT and it's rated to tow only 5,000lb and he pulls his boat all the time that is I think over 7,000lb, but we are in florida with no hills. So it just depends on conditions. His truck pulls that boat and you don't hardly even notice it's there.

Also, with the cheaper converters you will lose more upper rpm power the higher the stall rpm. The converter slips more to stall higher, but it's a trade off. Usually people see an overall gain with this because it's more beneficial to get the heavy truck off the line faster, even if you lose some top end. If you get the $900 converter they usually put in a different(or modified) stator which will help keep your top end, while giving you a higher stall rpm. It's definitely better, although maybe not worth the cost depending on what you're looking for.

I have a street edge 2800 stall and it's a great converter and fun to drive. I just recently decided it's not the best fit for me. I don't like the loss in top end power and although it has been pretty much like stock while towing, when I went to NC this spring up the long steep grades with the trailer it was pretty bad. I had about 4000lb behind me and some of the hills are so long and steep I was holding half a pedal for like 5+ minutes. The temps got pretty high in those situations.

Typically, I hardly notice the converter is different than stock(in regular driving to and from work, etc). When you get on the gas at low speeds it's a blast. But I do also see a noticeable drop in upper rpm pull.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.