Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

My limited experience sez to verify 40 PSI fuel pressure, the ECU is very sensitive to this, leave that gauge on to verify the pressure has NO fluctuation. The other thing I have experienced is I had an ignition coil fail, and it gave me some backfiring before it quit, ( about 10 seconds worth) . Elsewise, I would look at the ignition timing, with a timing light, verify you can see that it is reasonably correct, and not jumping around on the damper pulley too much, it may have jumped a tooth or two. If you guys down there have alcohol in your motorfuel, I'd guess the fuel pump is intermittent, easily verified, or the coil is being a bad actor, cheap enough on ebay. One other thing to check is whether or not the engine oil dipstick will burn readily, if it does, the engine is simply flooded. hold the accelerator to the rugs and crank til it fires, Note, verify that you are getting full travel from the pedal, by having someone check it from under the hood while you are holding it down. You may need to put the ziptie on the end of the cable trick at the gas pedal. The reason I say this, is that full throttle in start mode is known as clear engine mode, fuel is shut off to the injectors. If you aren't getting full throttle at the pedal, you are simply really throwing fuel at the engine, if you are giving it 3/4 throttle, whatever, while starting! My 2 cents worth, good luck!