View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge W350
Color: Blue
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
PowerRam85 is on a distinguished road
Default Towing + No Brakes = Hiroshima!!

I haul my 20ft bay boat around quite often, and usually use this one ramp on base that's real close to my house. The ramp is pretty steep but convenient enough because of it's location. Last weekend I hit the road early to get my morning fishing on and as I was reversing to the ramp my brakes go out. Luckily, I put it in drive and was able to make it out before I hit the water.

After some diagnosing, I realized that my combination valve's pin was stuck out, and by the looks of it wasn't going to be easy to reset (Rust). I hit the junkyard for a new combination valve after weeks of trying to find an OEM replacement and I got lucky finding an 89 Ramcharger. I got a good deal for $2 because apparently the guy at the counter didnít have a clue to what it was. Installed it and no luck again...

So I decided to buy a new aftermarket one from Summit Racing: Classic Performance Brake Proportioning Valve, P/N: PV-2. It is identical in every way to the original configuration and it also bolts right up to the original bracket. The only thing I had to swap was the warning light switch. For only $45 I would definitely recommend this to anyone still dealing with their old steel combination valve on their second generation.

Just my two cents.
Sponsored links