Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
I tend to drop my oil and filter right away on my new vehicles. I dropped this trucks oil at 250 Kilometers and switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The theory is you get rid of any manufacturing debris right away. I did the same with my old truck and it is still going strong. Probably a waste of time but I figure its cheap insurance.

I would not suggest running 5w-30, the oil will be too thick at operating temperature. My 2003 Hemi recommended 5w-30 but it didn't have any of the new features like MDS.
I am the same way, or should say I was??
From what I have read, been told etc, I think I am going to leave mine in longer this go around?

I'm at just over 400km's and will likely change around 2000K, but my dealer said to leave until at least the 5000K mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
No on break-in oil they use regular weight, otherwise they would have to specify a shorter oil change interval for the first one.
Didn't think so, but it is surprising how many people actually believe there is, and after what my dealer told me, I was starting to believe him that there was

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Leave the 5w-30 on the shelf for someone else
The 1500 HEMI has the MDS & it may light up a check engine light
look at your OWNERS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Skip the 5w-30. It could cause problems and they may not be covered under warranty.
Advice taken. Going to try and return it and see if they will exchange it for some 5W-20, even if I have to pay a difference.

My original thought was the 5W-20 was only suggested/recommended due to the CAFE reg's, but even if it is, it is still not worth taking a chance on due to warranty issues should they arise?