Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
The following is my method of installing the Bakflip F1 tonneau cover for the 2013 Ram 1500 6í4Ē box, quad cab with Rambox.

After opening the package and checking to make sure that all your parts have arrived you can proceed with their installation instructions to a certain point.

First note that the instructions you have are likely for the 2010 Dodge Rambox, but donít worry we can work around that.

You will also note that item #7 Front rod clips with hardware x2 is different in the box than what the paper instruction says. Again no worries we can get around that too. See photo of Front Rod Clip that you likely got, and need.

I also have to say that I made these instructions after I had installed mine, so I only have photos for steps 4 - 10, but donít worry the steps that I missed are pretty easy to figure out without the photos.

#1 Clean your rail system off and let dry before attaching your 3M tape. Once dry peel the 3M adhesive backing off slowly and apply to the top of the rail.

I cut my starting edge so that it was square before peeling off the tape, as it wasnít cut straight when I got mine. Then as I moved along the rail I peeled the tape off. When I got to the end, I again cut the edge so it was square and pressed it on.

This adhesive strip has a raised edge on one side of it, so I put that raised edge in towards the box rather than outwards. I honestly donít know if it makes a difference, but I figured it would help stop the water from coming in better in this direction.

#2 Peel the tape from the drain cups and apply firmly in corners. Attach tape to cab wall and underside of the rail. Once in position, run the drain tube through the existing holes next to your tie downs.

If you watch any Youtube videos you will see that they donít put the drain caps on until further into the installation. I did what they suggested and didnít really have any issues further along.

I should also not that I DID NOT install the drain tubes yet as I want to see how much water gets into my truck first. This is not a make or brake step, as it can easily be added on days/weeks later.

#3 Take the end plate cover off of your trucks rail system and slide off the two tie down clips. Slide attachment plates into the tracks in the following order 3 attachment plates (piece number 3), and then 1 tie down clip, 1 more attachment plate (item #3) 1 tie down clip and then the last attachment plate.

#4 Take mounting plate (piece number 8) and fit it so that it mounts right up to the drain cap on the back wall of the cab. Raise the mounting plate so that the top of it sits just below the top of the 3M adhesive tape and tighten securely. Donít tighten too much or else you will bend the aluminum plate and it will tilt forward too much.

I took a picture of this piece after my cover was installed, so just ignore the tonneau cover you see in the picture.

#5 Measure 19 ĹĒ from the cab of the back wall (where the drain cup sits), and attach your latch plate (item #4) to the second attachment plate (item #3) . Again have it sit just below the top of the 3M adhesive tape, and tighten securely, but not too tight.

#6 Take the front rod clip and snug it right up to the latch plate that you just installed.

However this time the plate will be turned upside down (so the flat part of the piece is facing down into the bed of your truck), and attach securely.

If this plate is mounted the other way around it will interfere with the closing of the cover and the rod assembly.

#7 Measure 37 ĹĒ from the cab of the back wall (where the drain cup sits), and attach your latch plate (item #4) to the fourth attachment plate (item #3). Again have it sit just below the top of the 3M adhesive tape, and tighten securely, but not too tight.

#8 Take your drain cap (item #10) and fit it behind the rail of your truck and in between the bolts of your attachment plate (item #3) now take your latch plate (item #4) and mount it as the others before.

Note that the slot cut into the drain cups will most likely not go all the way up onto your bolts. This is a bit of a concern to me, but until I see how much rain gets into my truck I am not going to worry too much about it. If I find that there is too much rain, then I will likely have to find a solution to fill that gap.

It is also worth noting that I have not put silicone on anything, as again I want to see the amount of water first.

#9 Attach Rod (item #5) to the pivot joint.

#10 Attach rear rod clip with hardware (item #6) to the second hole of your metal rail. Make sure that you mount this clip with the bolt head on top or else your tie down clips wont be able to slide freely past them. Tighten the screw up so that the retaining clip will catch the rod when you fold it down.

The bolt thread is a little bigger than the hole (or slot if you will of your rail) but it will go in if you thread it on.

#11 If you have somebody to help you to put the cover on your truck great, if not then you should be able to manage it on your own with little difficulty.

Place the cover so that the top holes line up with the holes on mounting plate number 8.

You may need to push forward or pull back a bit with your cover to make sure it sits properly, but donít attach the elevator bolts just yet.

Fold the cover closed making sure that all the panels line up properly with the latch plates (item #4), including the last plate near the lift gate.

If all the sections close properly and can open properly when using the pull cord on your cover then proceed to attaching the elevator bolts. If they donít secure properly then you may have to slide the cover a little forwards or backwards to make it work.

#12 Attach elevator bolts through cover.

#13 Fold open your cover until you get to the point of it resting up against the glass of your back window. Note where the cover touches the glass and attach the three rubber bumpers.

#14 Close cover all the way to the last panel and exit the bed of your truck. (Make sure that you hear the clicking noise of all your sections before getting to the next one). Lift the tailgate closed, and then fold your last cover over.

Now walk around your truck and make sure that the weather seal is not folded under anywhere. If it is, slide something flat underneath it to make sure that it is sitting properly. It could take a few days before it takes it shape, but eventually it will.

If I have missed anything or you have any questions, then please let me know.

As I stated these are the steps that I had to take to ensure that the F1 cover fit my 2013 quad cab with Rambox properly.

Good luck, I know you can do it!

Great write up! Excellent pics and details-makes me want one!