View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future
Default Added an aftermarket back up camera

I figured since I have a full double din deck that's capable of having a back up camera hooked up to it I might as well add one. It will definitely make life easier backing into parking spots where the car behind me is too narrow to see in the mirrors or hooking up to trailers.

The unit I bought is the Audiovox Cmos2 5-In-1 Multi-Mount Back-Up Camera. Yes there were cheaper ones available on Amazon but I liked this one because of how small it is and how much it looks like the OEM one. Found it through another members thread on the forum, his install looked good and easy so that's what sold me in this camera. I also bought a 25ft RCA video cable with my purchase. Paid $69.54 for the two... can't really go wrong with that. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TE1NBG/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Installing the camera itself was fairly simple. I removed the access panel on the tailgate and then removed the two bolts holding the tailgate handle on. From there I used a hole saw to cut out the hole (the handle had a ridge where the OEM camera would be located). I cleaned up the hole with an exacto knife and file to ensure that the camera would sit nice and flush. From there I installed the camera into the handle and then reinstalled the handle into the truck. I covered all the wiring from the handle to underneath the cab in lum for protection against sharp edges or rubbing.

I hooked up the power for the camera to the reverse wire on the 7 pin trailer plug (it's the middle wire, white with a red tracer I believe), and the ground to one of the bumper bolts. I hooked it up with a two prong connector to be able to easily disconnect it all if I need to remove the tailgate. From there I ran the RCA cable up along the drivers side frame of the truck along the main wiring harness and then up through the grommet in the firewall right beside the power wire for my amp. Obviously from there it went straight to my deck.

Went into the backup camera settings on the deck and turned on reverse interruption and BAM! It worked. Obviously it was crooked at first.... I ended up taking a 2x8 that I had laying on the side of the house and layed it on the ground 6 ft back from each tire. Then I just played around spinning the camera until it was happy with how straight it was.

Overall the install time probably took be about 2.5 hours. The worst part was running the wire all the way up the frame of the truck and making sure it was tied up nice and neatly, and then getting it through the firewall grommet. But for $70 I'm definitely happy with this mod!!

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's