Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC/6'4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Copperhead
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
DrCrash is on a distinguished road
Default 1st Roadie in the Ram

I finally had a chance to go on an extended trip with the truck (Hemi/CC/6'4/8spd/3.92) this weekend. I drove from the Metro-Detroit area to Watkins Glen, NY and I went the Canadian route. The group was my 7yo daughter, my mom, and myself. The bed was empty except for 3 small carry-on size suit cases.

MPG
Total mileage was 994 miles, using 56.42 gallons of gas (87 & 89 octane, alternating fill-ups). The total mileage on the truck is 1,984 miles so I'm still breaking it in. Approximately 630 of the miles were highway through MI, ON, and NY. I kept the speed around 65mph (Canadian speed limit is 62mph) on the highways. Once off the highway in NY in the Finger Lakes region it gets really hilly really fast. I maintained the speed limit where I could but didn't see any sense in trying to get the truck to maintain 55mph on some of the steeper grades. I hit an overall MPG of 17.62 for the 992 miles. Here's a tank by tank breakdown-

1st tank - 331.3 miles / 20.15 gallons / 19.4mpg - 270 hi-way / 60 city & rural (AC on sparingly, less than 15% of time)
2nd tank - 396.4 miles / 23.66 gallons / 16.75mpg - 100 hi-way / 290 city & rural (AC not used, windows down and loving it)
3rd tank - 271.6 miles / 15.95 gallons / 17.02MPG - 260 hi-way / 11 city & rural (AC on 80% of time and a head wind for most of this tank).

While I won't say that the EVIC is useless when it comes to MPG it tended to be fairly inaccurate. It ranged from being off by 0.3mpg high to 1.35mpg low with the average difference being 0.81mpg low. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the computer.

General
I love driving this truck and I'm looking forward to taking it when I go to the UP later this summer. The Alpine system was great even with the windows down. The headlights (low) are a bit weak but the brights seemed manageable. I had been contemplating some aftermarket projector lamps with HID and after this trip they will become a reality later this summer. No issues with the 8.4 although I did notice that the Sirius/XM cutout in the hills (not surprised) and a couple of times when I was in Canada (surprised as my 2011 Journey has been in Canada more than a dozen times and it's never cutout there). I also liked having the ability to downshift the trans right on the steering wheel. A fair number of the downhills that I hit this weekend gave me a choice - burn up the brakes or use the engine RPM and brakes to slow things down.

MDS
This was the 1st time that I was able to notice it. I've read on here that when the ECO light comes on it means that the MDS is running but I've never been able to notice it before. I will say that I don't think the 2 are linked together. I had the ECO light showing on multiple occasions and I could tell that I was running all 8 cylinders. The MDS has a distinct kick when it turns on, almost like the truck hit a small bump in the road. The engine also sounded different. I'm not sure that it really makes that much of a difference as it didn't kick in that often on either hi-way leg of the trip.

All in all it was a great trip with the family (minus the wife who had to work but I bought her a bunch of wine to make up for it) with a great truck.

Last edited by DrCrash; 06-24-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored links