View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeram1999 View Post
I recently bought a 1999 dodge ram with the 5.9 and the 46re transmission. It has a shifting problem that i knew about before i bought it.

The problem is shifting out of 1st and 2nd gear. It starts happening once the fluid is warm and thin. When i leave from a stop it wont shift out of first until it reaches about 3500 or more rpms and the same for second but around 3200 rpms and sometimes it wont shift out of second. The previous owner brought it to a shop and the took the pan off and took the filter apart and they said they found metal shavings and clutch material in the filter. My dad told me that metal shavings is common but clutch material isnt. The shop said that the problem was the pump inside the tranny and it needed to be rebuilt. When it doesnt shift out of 2nd i have to shift into neutral then back into drive for it to shift. If anybody knows a way to fix it without rebuilding it please let me know. Thanks
I don't believe at all that it could be the pump, the mechanic that checked it sounds like a quack. I did have a problem very similar to yours, and it happened to be the transmission speed sensor. The part is cheap and easy to replace, it's on the drivers side of the tranny.
I would just replace that as a precautionary measure.