View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
The way I was thinking is... The tuner threw out bad codes and caused a misfire.. Which means the cylinder isn't fireing but I'm assuming its still getting fuel with no spark.. And to me this would mean the raw fuel would wash out that cylinder and cause the rings to wear out faster then normal. And since now it's running on all cylinders the cylinders that were "wounded" are now low on compression and burning oil. And by the way i am no mechanic I as well just dick around with cars as a hobby I got an old ramcharger I built from the ground up. And I'm not to knowledgable on all the new electronic engines.. What I was saying is just how it makes sense to me

I wouldn't say your speculation is impossible, but I have my doubts that this is what caused this oil consumption. In my humble opinion, this would be unlikely, because the computer controlled deactivation scheme is to cut fuel injection and valve opening for MDS operation, not spark. Cylinder #1 coil is shared with cylinder #6, so unless both #1, and 6 coils stopped operating, there would be some form of fuel burn off of in #1. Fuel with no spark has happened in engines forever( every time a spark plug dies), and is not catastrophic. I this special case, if the computer deactivated the lifters, it would be milliseconds before there was a catastrophic pressure build up near TDC of closed valves with an un-compressible liquid, with at the least... a resultant nasty computer detectable knock.