For those of you out in Eastern Ontario, there's a UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY that will accept any shipment for you. Only caveat is that you have to cross the border to pick it up (need your passport/enhanced D/L).
There are a few advantages to it:
- Shipping in the US is usually free
- you don't pay brokerage fees
- there is always someone to accept your delivery
- you can have items that are not shipped to Canada delivered to a US address
and a few disadvantages:
- You have to cross the border to go get it (but who doesn't mind a road trip anyway!?!?)
- you MAY have to pay duty at customs (80% of the time, I've been waived through just telling them up front what I'm bringing in. They are familiar with that UPS location)
- your road trip may cost more than your brokerage fees in gas (but it an excuse for a road trip, so who cares right!!!)
I've used this place many, many times without problems. I even ordered tires from tirerack.com...tires up here were close to $300 each, got them on sale for $99 each at tirerack, and even with duty (GST at the time, about 20 bucks), and 30 bucks in fuel to go there and back from Ottawa, I still saved over $700 bucks!!!
Here's their website: