View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2516
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, you might want to reconsider a rack or perhaps a small trailer to transport your canoe. I have seen smaller canoes than yours, strapped in the bed of pick-ups with the tailgate down. Also, I have seen it done with the tailgate up, which puts the canoe at an upward angle. With an 18' canoe over half of it is likely to hang off the tailgate which I would not feel comfotable with, though it probably can be done. Sounds like you want to save or minimize the expense, perhaps you can find a rack or trailer on Ebay or Craigslist for les $$$.