Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Copperhead Pearle
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SupermanWV is on a distinguished road
Default Strange Noise....?

I bought my truck brand new (2013 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L with 3.92 and Limited Slip Diff). I've never had a limited slip axle before so this may be normal.....

When I'm going straight and accelerating kind of hard/hard, I hear a brief chattering sound (doesn't really sound like metal to metal) but it only lasts a second or so, and then it stops (also stops if I let off the accelerator). But if I keep accelerating it will happen again but only for a second. So its not a noise that happens constantly, but it only does it if I'm in gear and moving forward regardless of speed, if I accelerate and drop into lower gear for passing it happens. Does not happen if in Park and press accelerator or if in nuetral and press accelerator.

Is this just the sound of the limited slip kicking in while accelerating?

Or is it a problem. It does usually happen if taking off from stop and hitting accelerator to get going quickly, or if I'm moving slowly and punch throttle to take off quicker... but it is more towards the end of accelerating when the gear is about to change (automatic tranny).

I have never been turning in these situations...always going straight.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Clark (SupermanWV)
Sponsored links