View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

A few things come to mind. Number 6's stubborn rocker. It may be that it isn't down all the way. This can lead to the matching valve not opening fully or at all. Second, oil consumption is not so obvious when a plenum gasket fails. It starts out small. As the gasket fails, the leak gets bigger. Then the mis-firing and rattling starts. Third. Ticking, immediately after head replacement makes me think the head gasket did not seal on number 6. I've had that happen twice in my life of working with Mopar smallblocks. No obvious reason. Pulled them back down, put in another gasket on the offending side, and all was good. Despite the fact that the head gasket is the deepest, in light of the recent head replacement, I'd suspect that first. Make sure the #6 wire is firing the plug. Make sure the plug is firing. If they are OK, I would pull the spark plug and start the engine. Does the ticking stop? If so, dead cylinder. How does the mix smell as it shoots out? A little like coolant? Head gasket.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 07-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.