Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White/Silver two tone
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:41
Salt And Vinegar is on a distinguished road

Excessive idle will plug your DPF and you'll enter regen more frequently. Some DPF's become clogged enough that regen alone wont clean it and you'll have to get it cleaned at the dealer. If you want an aftermarket intake system I'm running the S&B intake with the replacable paper filter. Really woke up the truck even with the emissions equipment in place. I'm also using the pre-filter on my paper element. S&B's are fully sealed boxes with the option of running a scoop to the bottom for Hiway use under ideal conditions. Another positive is they are tested to ISO5011 standards so your getting a good product. AFE's momentum HD is also ISO5011 tested but is an oil based element.

Driving in the winter, use your winter front! It helps you keep your motor at operating temp and keeps your DPF working correctly. That being said, when the snow is gone loose the winter front or you'll cook your motor.

Last bit of advice! warm-ups and cool downs. Diesels aren't like gas jobs where you can crank and go. I let my truck have a brief warm-up before I get going, same before shutting it off. Usually a minute of idle before shut-off and if I'm running it hard a 5 minute cool-down. Not letting your motor cool down especially when your EGT's are high will cause the oil in your turbo to start coking and solidify.. AKA blown turbo.

If you don't have to worry about emissions laws and your warranty is up, delete the EGR and DPF. My milage is through the roof right now even with 35" tires. 15MPG average right now and thats hot-dogging it around. DPF-present hot-dogging was like 8MPG.