Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Oil Cooler Installed

So after traveling with my tt I decided it would be best to install an engine oil cooler.

I wrote this up after my last travel to let others know how I like my truck if they're thinking of towing. Summary...Everything went great! Max temps seen before are as follows

Engine-222 most of the way max of 230f

On the way home the engine ran a little higher around 228 and the final hill to my house is about a mile straight up at 20mph and engine maxed at 237f

With these higher engine temps it made me a little nervous because I never saw these temp drop when traveling, it always stayed constant once the temperature rose.

Now I installed the engine oil cooler last week and traveled the same route this week except i went an hour further into Vermont this weekend.

I installed the cooler below. It was an easy install...see the video below, it will help if you have questions on install.

Install took about an hour total and while doing this I also changed the oil and went to synthetic from conventional. In total with the cooler it took 8qts which is about 1qt more than before. Now I can't tell you for sure if the synthetic oil helped but i can tell you that together they performed very well.

With the temps seen above I was now running about 204f and saw 208f once. I did notice that the temp didn't really fluctuate like I expected. The cooler has a built in thermostat that is supposed to start cooling the oil at 180f. So I figured it would be able to keep the oil around this temp. However it didn't but did keep the temps about 20f lower than without the cooler. On the way home the hill before my house the temp rose to 212f which is 25f lower than it did the time before.

Running empty the temp hovers around 190f where it was usually 201-4f before

I will include pictures later so you can see what it looks like. If you have any questions let me know and i'll try to help an answer them.

Oh an btw this is not an additional trans cooler....some get this messed up, this is a cooler for the engine oil.

Overall I'm happy with the cooler and would install it again.
Sponsored links