View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

It's been almost a year, so perhaps you've forgotten...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119482&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Awesome! Your truck is gonna fly. So who is putting the transmission together? The 68rfe gearset in the 545rfe will be great. Also stronger. Your basically going to have a 66rfe. I didn't know this swap was possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
My truck is Mike's donor truck and we worked it out to where he could have it for a couple months. He is mocking everything up and inventorying everything needed for a kit. Like he stated in his build thread he only uses top notch parts...Garrett, Tial, Bosch, AN fittings, 304 stainless steel, etc. and of course there are tons of options. I'm getting the hot side all coated in black and I was going to stay with the 5.7 intake until Timmy found me the 6.1. Anyone considering a kit should seriously PM MGH with questions. I will continue to post pics to try and show the build quality and his attention to detail.

WRT to the 68rfe internals I'd have to refer you to Mike on that one. The problem with the 545rfe is the frictions not the gears.
Quote:
I don't know a whole lot about the transmissions I just know the 68rfe is the diesel transmission and the 66rfe is basically the 68rfe gearset in a 545rfe case and is for the hemi n the 2500's. That gearset from the 68rfe or 66rfe is a much better gearset than the one in the 545rfe(ratios are spread more evenly, lower first gear, and taller final gear), and it is supposedly stronger which should be obvious since it's from a 2500 ram not a 1500 ram. I'd be really interested in more info on the transmission work, and cost, as I'd be interested in it myself just for the better ratios. Thanks and good luck with the truck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
The strength of the 68 comes from the number of frictions it uses over the 45. I have found a way to put even more frictions in the 45 then come in the 68. I also rebuild the pump so that it produces up to 250 psi and modify the valve body. When you put all that together you have a trans that can handle more TQ, that shifts hard, but not harsh.
Quote:
Very cool. A little over my head but I get the idea lol. Are you able to swap the better gear ratios from the 68/66 into the 45? What's a rough cost for this if you don't mind sharing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
I can swap gear sets, but we do not have the tuning capability to tell the TCM that the gear ratios have changed. Without that tuning, you would get a gear ratio mismatch trouble code....

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP