Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODHARLEY View Post
Pull off your TB after 20k... And see how much oil is on there. Oil is never ever meant to be in the combustion chamber... All an engine should see is air and fuel in the top end... 100k on a motor is nothing. "Running ok" is not the same as running like brand new... Try 300k on an engine. A catch can is a great addition to extending an engines life span. And really... What's a $100 investment for a $40...$50... $60,000 truck/car..? How much did you spend painting your pretend can to match..? Think about it....
I was going to say pretty much the same thing and thought "why bother ?"
I find it ironic that OP has started a thread about his color-matched DIY catch can, and now is saying they are waste of time, more or less (kinda like a "CAI" that draws in radiant heat from the engine bay).
The biggest reason for a catch can isn't for reasons of prolonging engine life anyway, it's to keep oil vapors from mixing with the incoming fuel and lowering the octane, which promotes the detonation that Hemis are prone to, especially tuned ones. I've experienced this firsthand, and adding the catch can (which was recommended by my cmr tuner) helped alleviate this condition.
Obviously, a CC that has a way to seperate/filter the oil from the air going into the intake is going to be superior to one that doesn't. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy, either. I have seen DIY cans that are true accumulator/seperators that cost about $50 to make, and I'm sure work quite well.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-