Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Thank you, and don't forget about the oil cooler thanks to that member mentioning it earlier. Headstart, that's a good way too put it....I should have thought of that. Btw, I sometimes tow heavy equipment at 60 mph and on but it's been a while. Temps are 180 to 185 24/7 whether towing or not. Granted it's not like I'm towing up the Grapevine in Calif where I'm sure the temps would rise. Too bad I'm not in Canada, I'd like to watch someone eat a catshit sandwich.
I truthfully see both sides of this discussion. Yes you do get a head start on cooling but if the cooling can't keep up which it isn't if your seeing 250 degree temps you have issues. Will a 180 thermostat help if your seeing temps in the 220s and want them to lower to 210s, probably. But will it help if your seeing the 250s and want to be back in the 200s, most likely no. The OP is in a very different boat then I as he had much higher temps but with those temps most likely he would need a larger cooler of somesort or diagnose an issue with his cooling. Could the 180 thermostat have worked for me maybe, but i'm heard some bad things about it and cold weather so i decided not to go that route and to try to add the additional cooler.

Now with the additional cooler also come more fluid which helps with cooling as there is now more fluid to absorb the higher temps.

I personally think these are both solutions but will work for different situations. The thermostat is probably the cheaper and easier way but may not work for the OP.