Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
The biggest fairytale here is that you don't need extra cooling with these trucks. It's also a fairytale that that a 180 tstat and oil cooler will not help keep your engine cooler. If I were the OP, I would install a 180 tsat, oil cooler to feel for himself. Then later down the road a trans cooler and maybe even a aluminum finned trans pan. I've been on this forum for 4 1/2 years and I don't remember seeing one complaint of over heating from a person running a 180 tstat.(I could have missed them) There are lots of people on here who think that a 180 tsat is harmful to your engine and I believe seanbeckaroo is one of them...pardon me if I'm wrong.
Actually, I don't believe a 180 Stat is harmful, I've ran one in my 460. I don't believe it is "cure all" and "MOD Booster" some claim it to be. For the OP's purpose, I believe he has more of a problem than a TSTAT. I personally run a stock stat because it is the optimal temperature for complete combustion; running a cool engine decreases efficiency, I prefer to run the vehicle where it was designed for complete combustion. On the occasions when I tow, the temps I encounter are fine for me with a stock thermostat. If I were to tow a very heavy load, I would probably have got gotten a truck better designed for that. The facts are, thermostat will simply open and close to try to maintain a desired set point. If the temperatures are over 220, Air-flow and coolant is likely going to help more than a 180 stat that is already full open.

You run your engine cold, that is fine, I'll run mine where is designed for complete combustion and optimal fuel efficiency. There is NO scientific proof that concludes running a 180 stat increases performance, engine life, or any other fairy-tale.