View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

They "could" easily get more power from it. Easily. It's a 5.7L V8 for chrisake, 395/410 isn't impressive at all, there is lots more power to be had there. But at the expense of MPG, which isn't the direction CAFE is taking them.

What 2014 model propaganda I've seen talks about reducing parasitic loss and fuel efficiency gains measured in tenths of a percent. Doesn't sound like enough to notice.

Having a HP number starting with a 4 would be good marketing I'd think. And I've no doubt Ram could get there if they chose to. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with total cost of ownership? I know that back in the day that having a HP rating starting with a 4 meant more expensive insurance, period. The big three all played games with HP ratings based on that - muscle cars were routinely UNDER rated back then for insurance purposes. No idea if that is still true or not though. But if so, might have something to do with it, maybe.

- DAA