View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis501 View Post
I'm looking at a 2013 Longhorn that is 3.21:1 and no anti-spin option vs a 3.92:1 that does have the option. Since both are 4WD, can't I put the truck into 4WD instead of doing that braking dance? Doesn't 4WD make the anti-spin not necessary as far as getting stuck? Or....and I'm afraid this is the real answer, if you have 4WD and no-LSD, does only 1 tire turn on your axle even in 4wd! I bet that is the answer.

It's all about proportions.
4WD drives all 4 wheels despite what some post here.
Unlocked diffs are equal torque designs, so if the friction and weight under your tire are close: you get the same power to all 4 wheels.
Think of it this way: Neither opposing wheel can receive more torque from the vehicle than it's connected opposing wheel. So if one rear wheel is on asphalt, and the other is on ice, the one on asphalt can not receive any more torque than the one on ice. Normal 4WD works so well, because the vehicle is moving and the weight loading on the wheels is constantly changing, giving the 4 wheels the "average" of the friction limit.