View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough
Default Heater core replacement

I just recently bought the truck little over a month ago, it's a 03 1500 5.9l magnum quad cab 4x4. Since I bought it I have been smelling coolant from the vents and losing coolant. I am currently replacing my heater core. So far I have removed the steering column and the dash. As I was taking it apart I noticed that I am not the first person to have removed this dash (missing bolts/wrong bolts). Peeking in the HVAC box I can see signs of the culprit; a puddle of coolant. The heater core looks as though it's not the original. Now you have a little back story time for my questions.

I'm not entirely sure how to extract the box.

Is it really better to go with a heater core from the dealer or is my parts store replacement fine?

Are the hoses from the heater core normally two pieced? I noticed mine are made up of two pieces of hose clamped to some sort of connector. Just wondering if it's from a flat-rate shortcut.

What's the coolant capacity? I'm planning to flush the system because the radiator and overflow has brown crud which I assume is the previous owners attempt to fix this with stop leak.

Schematics would be a great help. Any hints, tips?

Last edited by Simple guy; 07-17-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored links