Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 02 dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
rammy420 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunDodge View Post
MADDOG has a good list there for ya', lot of helpful recommendations there. However, as has been discussed here, I guess it seems that transmission flush vs. just changing fluid and filter boils down to personal preference. I have never flushed any of my transmissions, just changed fluid/filter. I was always told that if there are any contaminants in there, flushing it loosens that debris and clogs things up, so perhaps I am just a bit on the paranoid/OCD side, lol. Either way, I don't recommend it, just my .02 and my ex (backyard mechanic - I always listened to father-in-law, lol) notwithstanding, I have not had transmission trouble as a result of not flushing it.

As far as a high mileage oil, I recommend Valvoline, it really helped recondition the seals on my Jeep when I started using it, but if you follow MADDOG's list, you should be in good shape for a good long time! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

- Cajun
DONT JUST GET A FLUSH unless its a proper one where they change your filters and gasket as well i went to a minute lube to have the tranny in my camaro flushed and all was good till the next morning i went to drive to work and it would ride first gear really high then shift as if it had a shift kit in it this all happened i believe from not having the tranny flushed properly(didnt have the filters replaced) as my tranny was fine before this was done i only had it done cause the car sat for a long time before i bought it and wanted to make sure that everything was good

Last edited by rammy420; 12-07-2009 at 01:43 PM.