View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Overall removing the dash wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, actually it's fairly easy. The only problems I ran into were mostly from the previous mechanic that had removed the dash; A cross threaded bolt near the windshield which he just left there halfway, he over tightened the bolts holding the plastics with the handles on the pillars which I had to rip the bolts through the plastic because the threaded pieces were just spinning and a missing bolt under the dash that threads into the HVAC box.

I broke the brake switch when I reinstalled and tightened up the steering column. The plunger ended up under the contact pad as I tightened it snapped the plunger, soft braking no longer illuminates the brake lights so it will fail my state's inspection. I highly recommend removing the brake switch prior to putting the steering unit back in!! I don't remember reading anything about that little tip. A tab on the plastic piece nearest the windshield in the very corner snapped. J-b weld fixed that.

Overall great learning experience I now know the entire inner workings of the entire dash, steering column and studied the dash wiring harness.