Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Driftwood Satin Metallic
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
jabba974 is on a distinguished road
Default Gear box, pump, or intermediate shaft???

Hey all, I have 1997 Dodge ram 2500 4wd ext/sb. I have an issue with the steering (surprise, surprise...). the truck has @ 236,000 miles on it, but I have replaced nearly every mech part on it...My problem is that at low speads, turning corners/driveways/parking spots the steering is very hard...and there is a clunk noise in aproximatly the same spot either way I turn the wheel...If I give it a little throttle, it does move easier, but this is often an issue in a parking lot, or pulling into my driveway....I have experienced the "death wobble" a number of times( there is a section of road about a mile from my house that does it every time).
I have replaced balljoints, axle joints, all steering linkages, shocks, upgraded to an aftermarket steering stabilizer, which helped the death wobble a little...My question is, do I replace the gearbox, ps pump, or intmediate shaft?
The pump was replaced about 4 years ago, and the gear box leaked at the pitman arm( I replaced the seals)...The steering isn't "sloppy" but there is a lot of play in it, and it does tend to wander on rough roads... So I don't think adjusting the gear box is the solution...

If anybody has some suggestions I would appreciate it...
Sponsored links