View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I'd have to agree, a third gen is a good bet. There are certain years that have their own unique problems, but its probably a 10 page post to cover all those bases. The 5.9 Common Rail is pretty reliable while making good power.

A 2nd gen is also a good bet if you can find a nice one. They are simpler in design, have less electronics, and the injectors are cheaper. The make less power but also can haul down the best fuel mileage.

A 6.7 is also a great truck, they make a lot of power and in a 4th gen, are an improved truck. Its the emission stuff that turns people off to these trucks.

I've owner my 2004 for about 2 years now and love it. I've had to do nothing but normal maintance to it so far, and haven't had to touch the engine yet at 120,000 miles. That said, they can get expensive. For example I redid my rear brakes. All new parts, rotors, e-brake, pads, calipers and I did all the work myself, and it was almost $500 in parts. I hate to think what it would have cost if I had taken it somewhere.