View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
What is the big deal with the 6.4 Hemi in the 1500? 'Bragging' rights? The difference in horsepower is only 4% and the difference in torque is only 4.5% On the street, that is ever so slight. We are talking about a work truck and not a yuppie street racer, right? For Ram reverie, it is a nice thought, but hardly worth paying for in dollars due to its thirsty nature and accompanying 6 speed tranny.

The 8 speed tranny that is available with the 5.7L gives first gear a major torque boost thanks to its 4.69 low gear. The 5.7L Hemi is a very underrated engine but responds well to modification. It can be easily altered for some serious power gains without the 'operational' costs of the more thirsty 6.4L. The choice is clear.
There are quite a few of us that have a work truck and a street truck, both with very different uses, my Ram is my fast street truck and if there had been a 6.4L to start from, I would have picked it up, hell if there had been a 6.1L I would have picked it up. There is no replacement for displacement, well, unless you go forced induction as well so call me a yuppie street racer, but I don't race on the streets, only at the strip.