Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Are eight speeds not out yet as the poster above alluded to?

I may trade my F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and 6 speed on a new Hemi Big Horn this week. They have the exact truck I want at a great price but it has the 6 speed. I know the 645RFE is really the 545RFE but the one I drove two years ago seemed okay to me. The Hemi has so much more torque than the Ford 5.0 that I didn't miss the lower gears one bit. I admit I don't tow more than 5,000 pounds so maybe that is where I would notice the gappy transmission ratios. I much preferred the power of the Hemi over the Ford 5.0 but the Ford interior sold me. Now the 2013 Ram has me thinking trade in.

Yes my F-150 has a really low first gear but I find it very annoying in stop and go traffic. When creeping along from zero to eight miles an hour you are constantly shifting gears. I think the 3:1 ratio of the 645RFE would be fine. In the Davis Dam test Ford did, the Hemi nearly caught the Eco-boost so I think this tranny with a 3.92 will be fine but Chrysler is bringing out the 8 speed for a reason.

If I am wrong and the 8 speed is already in production, please let me know and I'll look for comparisons.

NC