Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
dillansmith is on a distinguished road

this is an old thread but I thought i'd put in my two cents. I had the same prob I think...or at least close. my truck is a 99 1500 5.9l. I believe the tranny is the 46re. My problem was: it started not shifting from 2nd to 3rd. to get it to shift I would have to either manually put it into 2nd or neutral....then back into drive. once it shifted to third it would work fine. and a couple of times seemed like it didn't shift back into first, so it was a laggy start. and it didn't happen every time either. I felt like if I accelerated slowly it would work most of the time. but if I was in a hurry then it would fail almost every time....sooo

the fix: I watched a couple videos and read some threads and came up with changing the Governor pressure solenoid and the pressure sensor. And thought id take a look at the bands and IF they looked REALLY loose...THEN I would try and adjust them.....well they WERE really loose...so I adjusted it. the one you can get to one by taking the pan off. either front or back. I cant remember, but I tightened that up.....SHIFTS LIKE A DREAM!

idk what fixed it, but if I had to put money on it I would bet on the band. I do know it is scheduled maintenance to have those tightened/adjusted. maybe some smarter guys on here can throw some links and what not on how to do it. or take it to a shop and have them do it.i'll prob take mine in to have it done professionally. it seemed like a precise adjustment and I just guestimated...figured I had nothing to lose. but now that its fixed ill get it done right. either way I spent 140$ on parts oil and filter.....and that's a whole lot cheaper then a new tranny. hope that helps

Last edited by dillansmith; 07-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.