View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Midnight Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
nopaydave will become famous soon enoughnopaydave will become famous soon enough

My thoughts as I get closer to pulling the trigger on a sub...
I do not know much about car Audio but I do know a bit about Sub Speakers having been a Bass player for 20+ years and built a few of my own cabinets and been through countless speakers. In my world Size does not have that much to do with anything but appearances and filling room volume. The cabin of a truck is a very small space and a good amp should push even an 8" past what you want, unless you are trying to impress the neighborhood (or you have a crappy speaker/AMP and enclosure like the Alpine setup).

I played through a 300 watt amp and 1 15" JBL and I could rattle stuff off the walls and play along side of Marshall stacks.
Size, can have an effect on clarity and bottom end (generally speaking)smaller being clearer and larger being deeper but the higher quality of speakers these days have made that difference much less noticeable. I remember when the 18" first came out everyone was buying them. I thought they were too muddy for my taste and stayed with 15's then Peavey released the Black Widow...unthinkable...Bass players playing through a stack of 8" speakers?? Well they sounded pretty good.

My point here is it's all about acoustics and I think quality over size and/or multiple speakers will give me more bang for my buck in a very small enclosure like a truck cab unless I just want to rattle the doors off (and if the bass gets low enough and/or loud enough things will rattle). I think a good quality 10" in the right enclosure with the right amp would make more speakers pointless in a small volume truck cabin. Tell me how far this old musician is off as it pertains to Car audio?

So.....Why do they call you Nopaydave anyway?

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you....

2012 Outdoorsman, 4X4 Hemi, Rambox and Loaded with lots of extras.

Last edited by nopaydave; 07-23-2013 at 09:46 PM.