Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Walkercolt is on a distinguished road

The heat shields are a pain, and some thick-wall sockets won't fit down in them.
Forgettabout the 48K plug changes. Your fuel economy will go to crap, especially if you run E-10 or if your's is a Flex-Fuel engine that can run E-15. Spark plugs aren't that expensive not to change then every 25K, IMHO. If you drive mainly in-town, think strongly about one heat-range hotter plugs. To check them, run thirty minutes at highway speed (on cruise) put it in neutral, shut the engine off and let it coast down, then pull a couple of plugs, one on each side (middle ones). If they're nice and light tan, you're perfect. If they're white, you need to go back to the OEM heat range. I have a 2004 Dakota with the early 4.7L and it has run rich since day one. I'm running Bosch single Platinums a heat range and a half hotter than the OEM Champions. After 20 minutes of the ECU "learning" what plugs were in it, I get better idle, better acceleration and a tiny bit better fuel economy, but there's nothing gonna make the early 4.7L get GOOD gas mileage.