View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Whilst I don't have any car manufacturing experience, I do have about 26 years of working with manufacturers in my line of work.

If you are dealing with a company that only makes 1 off's of everything, then yes they should be able to give you a pretty dead accurate date baring any unforeseen breakdowns or manufacturing errors or shortages of parts.

The same would go if you were buying the 100 or 1000 of the same vehicle as stated above, but here is where things get different.

I place an order with my manufacturer for a product and they will give me a 6-8 week lead time as an automatic reply. As time gets closer to the 6-8 week time, I will get an update, but that is usually because I initiated the call.

What we have to consider are two things.

1) Almost all industries have moved to a "just in time" schedule. That means that they have ordered enough parts to finish what they are working on just in time, and when the get short and more orders come in, then the place another "just in time" order for parts.

Apple recently ran into that very same problem with their iPhone 4s and iPads coming out at the same time. This also affected a lot of other industries because of cross-over parts.

For an example there is a part of the iPhone 4s that is shared with manufacturers of lighting products, and when Apple made a bulk purchase of thousands of parts it all but crippled the lighting industry for several weeks.

2) It costs more money to stop and start a production line just to fit in 1 new product.

I would surmise that when the orders for Ram's are being put through that they run one model vehicle at a time. Wether they start off with the top of the line or the bottom of the line, they don't usually break that run until current orders are put through.

They will also set their runs up to build the same vehicles with the same options as much as possible as well, so as not to confuse (or interrupt) the assembly line.

Because I didn't order my vehicle to be a custom build, but rather took one off the lot I can't answer this, but when you ordered your's were you given an estimated lead time?

How many people that ordered their new trucks were given an estimated lead time, and how close were you to getting the truck within that estimated lead time?

Do I think that things could be better? Yes of course I do, but at the same time I can see how difficult it can be to give a more accurate date with all the variables that take place.

Again my background is not with the auto industry, but I suspect that all manufacturing works in a similar fashion.

In the end I hope you get what you want and soon, and too would love to see some pic when ready.

Good luck.