Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Unknown
Color: Blue
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Nabby is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I have Moog 7172 heavy duty springs and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks coming for the front... since I'm putting in stiffer springs, I'm sure an alignment is in order anyway.
I'm not exactly familiar with this steering/suspension setup, but my beloved slant six Volare in the garage has bad ball joints and tie rod ends (that's why I finally garaged it - engine still runs with 355,000 miles) and I know with those going out, every bump changes the direction it wants to steer and puts a lot of slack in the steering wheel. The Ram's steering is drum tight and dead on consistent.
I'm used to holding the tires at 9 and 3 and rocking back and forth to check for loose tie rod linkage and then doing the same at 12 and 6 to check for bearing play. There's no give on these, feels really sturdy.

On an aside - I am considering replacing the center link anyway, because rockauto has the Delco on dealer closeout for $50 or the Moog for $65. It's a hard call because the Delco says "ROD,STRG LNKG RLY" which I'm going to think stands for "Strong Linking, Really!" but the Moog says "Problem Solver" ... I really want a strong one, but I do have a lot of problems that need solved.