Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
IBEWSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
Car audio subwoofers are a completely different speaker than a Pro audio (loud speaker)
Pro audio has much higher sensitivities 92-100
Much less excursion/ xmax
Different cabin designs
And runs off 120 volts versus a measly 12 volt car voltage. Thats why car audio runs such higher watts than pro audio ..... Im sure your 300 watt bass rig was very loud!!
Also, sub bass in a vehicle typically operate in lower frequencies than pro audio bass rigs.
18hz - 80 hz is common in car audio
50-400hz is commen in bass guitar rigs. A low "E" aint very low on a bass guitar
Hell, even a low "B" isnt too low. Higher frequencies seem to listen louder to our ears. Where 22hz you can barely "hear", but rather "feel"

I agree. A good 10, with a great box, powered by good clean, strong powerful amp would be plenty for our trucks!
But more bass is more fun lol
You can always turn your bass levels down
I think the real selling point here is this, and you drive this home autokraftgt... "You can always turn your bass levels down."

I think if we are stuck between 10's and 12's, the difference is first off going to be with install. The 10's are much more install friendly. You don't have to mod the seats at all, although, I would since I want to put the amp behind the seat.

Next, the sound quality of the 10's is probably right on par with the 12s, but by definition, cant the 12's hit the lower tones easier?

Would going easy on 12's be better than pushing 10s harder?

I really think that since I want to install the spacers on the seat anyways, and the storage will be gone no matter, then 2 12's just seems more logical... assuming you've got the extra dough to sink in to the subs.