Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

many of the newer public safety grade systems can be complicated. most have a larger power wire that goes to constant power at the battery and then a controller that either switches in/out low current voltage to turn on different relays in the light OR they run over a network cable and actually send a digital signal to an internal controller.

One thing i can tell you is to make sure you know the laws in YOUR state and run only the lights you are allowed. Down here only LEO can run blue, FD has to run red and never blue. i know a few VFD folks that have wasted a lot of money on lights only to get a big ticket the first time the ran them!

You can look at galls.com for a bunch of different lights. they dont have the best quality in the world, but many folks buy from them to save money. My work does public safety comms/outfits vehicles(we do not sell the lights/sirens only the comm gear) and our local guys bring stuff from galls and other vendors all the time. the big thing is order what you need and install it like the instructions say, keeping in mind the manual usually lists options you may not have so you don't need those connected. but since you are not talking about a rooftop light bar i would think it is a matter of picking your pattern and using that set of wires. that is what many of the multiwire lights are, you connect ground and then pick the pattern by using different wires to positive. of course this varies depending on the lights!

if you only want to turn on all the lights at once you really just need a single SPST toggle and a relay rated to carry your load. for a bunch of LED lights you may not even need the relay.