View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

The USB connector became a supported feature in 2011. You mentioned that you have the Uconnect buttons on the radio, do you have the Uconnect system in your vehicle? Press the Uconnect phone button, do you hear a voice prompt or is there a message displayed about Uconnect not being available? If you don't have the Uconnect system, you can install it and the optional USB / iPod cable (PN 82212159 <kit> 82212160 <cable>) you can find these parts for about 250 - $300 online. Then after the installation you'll need to have the vehicle flashed with sales code "RSP". You'll want to call around to get the best price, it'll range from 50 - $100.

The other option would be to replace the radio with an aftermarket radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky-D View Post
I have been searching the forum like a mad man, but can't seem to find the solution to my problem.

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn... it HAS the upper glove box door with light, but no USB plug. I could not find the USB that others have behind the box, but didn't spend a ton of time searching. The radio doesn't say UConnect anywhere but DOES have the phone button and a button of a person talking right next to it. Bluetooth, I could take it or leave it.... I would rather install an additional AUX and 12V plug in the upper dash so phone or ipod could charge and play while wires remain out of sight and out of mind. I can always use a bluetooth headset if I really wanted.
1) Can I tie in to the available AUX behind dash and add an extra one in upper dash?
2) How hard would it be to add an extra 12V plug in upper dash?
3) Would it be a cheaper/easier option to just add a USB in there? If so, how can I do it if there is no USB plug already present?

Photos are appreciated.