Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

If your coolant loss is accompanied by occasional white smoke out of your tailpipes, you may well be burning coolant, which could be (Ecch) headgasket issues, intake manifold gasket issues, head issues, (big Ecch) OR, you may simply have a rotten hose feeding your coolant tank, being a relative simpleton, I would, (ecch, that hose tastes BADD) [and the contents thereof are known to be toxic, so do not swallow anything that comes out!!] pull the hose off that feeds the tank, seal one end of it, with a finger, and blow on the other end, or suck on it, to see if it is in need of replacement, which, being a 98, may be rotten. if you think it leaks at a neck, they make zipties for that... OR... as is in my case, I had to JB weld my overflow tank, due to something or other { can't remember what } chafing a pinhole thru it. One other thing I've had which was a most insidious leak, was the upper radiator hose on my 03 explorer clamp had snapped where it was not visible, and I was losing antifreeze via the clamp which looked good, but wasn't. hands on inspection with a little wiggle - jiggle action goes a long way, in my case, I had already bought a new radiator, cuz I figured it simply had to be the rad neck cracked, and with 206 k miles that HAD to be the prob, well, you know what they say about assumptions... Good Luck!