View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodga Dakota Quad Sport
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
HotDakota is on a distinguished road
Default Another 4.7L head gasket adventure...

Greetings all, we just bought a 2002 Dakota Quad - the wife liked the looks, when we were checking it out we never really got it into a load situation, so didn't see the temperature creep until we were hauling down I-25 from Ft Collins back home to Golden Colorado and it overheated twice in the 66 miles we traveled.

Imagine my surprise when I googled "overheating 4.7 l Dakota"!! So, long story short, bought as-is, and here we are - I'm girding my loins so to speak to tear into this thing and replace the head gaskets and check the heads out, Jay Millers pictures and narrative are extremely helpful, and I was wondering what the "rest of the story" was after welding up the tensioner lug... Any new updates since getting the head welded, like additional very helpful photos and description of the reassembly?

Since I have the engine apart, I am going to swap out the entire timing chain, sprocket and tensioner/guide set - with 155K on the clock, it seems silly not to.

Any recommendations from those who have done this previously regarding which head gaskets and head bolts to use? I was thinking Fel-Pro gaskets and ARP head bolts, anyone have better parts to recommend?

We like this truck, it rides great, sounds pretty nice with a flowmaster 40 delta on it, of course just a little chagrined at having to drop a wad of $$$ on a new purchase, but buyer beware....

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help, recommendations, pictures, etc. - tonight the adventure starts.