View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:469
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostKing View Post
Just to be clear, the ZF 8 speed is kick ass but Chrysler in their infinite wisdom decided to build a 845RFE instead, starting next year. (maybe this year) This one will be a sack of sh*t as mentioned earlier. If the Ram does come with the ZF transmission, buy one while you can.
Wow I don't even now what to say about this. You do know the "845RFE" you speak of is a license produced ZF 8HP70 transmission right? They are the exact same design. I doubt Chrysler will goon up the execution so much as to turn it into the "sack of $hit" you speak of.

Anyway I bought my Hemi 8 speed on 5-28-2013 so they've been out for a while. From what I understand, Chrysler was not able to gear up the Kokomo plant quite quick enough so the first (not sure how many) 8 speed trannies are actually ZF 8HP70s made in Germany by ZF. This is the case with my truck which was built in February 2013.

Thanks for posting that BlackRamHemi, its good to know what a difference the 8 speed makes effectively and not just on paper.