Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

Well gang, sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but it's taken this long to ALMOST resolve the situation.

So what has transpired during the last 23 months.

Well, I never did get any response to my question from the dealership, so in February we allowed an RV dealership to hook us up with a Columbus 320RS fifth wheel. We were guaranteed that despite the additions we had installed at the factory that they would never put us into a unit that our TV would not support. Guess what!!! I initially weight the unit and found that I had over 10,00lbs on the drive axles (wait for it, it was a bad weigh), I reopened dialogue with the dealership and with Ram Corporate. There isn't a 1 ton that will take that kind of weigh and I was told that it was probably a bad weighing in the forums I frequent, Sure enough the actual weight was only 6220lb on the drive axles, but, that's 20lbs over the RAWR, the GVW was 11140 (1000+lbs over the 10100 GVWR) and the CVW was 21340, (340lbs over the GCVWR) So I reinitialized dialogue with the dealership. (Ram Corporate Customer Service was of no help what-so-ever: "Sorry sir, but you'll have to take this back to the dealership, we have no information on 5thWheel towing!!") Now with actual weights, the dealership sprang into action, I have nothing but respect for the salesman and the sales manager, they did there all to helps us and we came to an agreement on a brand new 3500 Longhorn Dually, of which I am to take procession of tomorrow after the PDI is complete.

Now for the new conundrum... I had made arrangements to transfer my Reese 20K 5th Wheel slider hitch from the 2011 to the 2013 Longhorn. I took my truck down to the hitch shop to find out if the rails could be removed and transferred. The tech was pleased to see the way the original hitch company had installed my hitch and told me there would be no problem transferring the hitch... UNTIL... I told him that the new truck had the new underbed mounting system. EVERYTHING changed, I was told that there was a solution and that it would cost around $800 to do the transfer. Fine!! What has to be done, has to be done. So I left to register the new vehicle and took my plates back to the Ram Dealership. I stopped at the parts counter to see if Morpar had a hitch solution, after all, if I can get something that is OEM and cheaper, why not. I was told quickly there was nothing quickly available, that the mounting system was under restriction and had to be VIN specifically ordered and that there was nothing on the jobber market to do the job. I explained that I had just been to a hitch company and I was having the hitch transferred tomorrow. The Accessories manager quickly called the hitch company as there are a few more in the same boat I'm in throughout the dealership and wanted to tap into the solution. By the time I had returned to the dealership, the hitch company had found out that their solution was not compatible with the 2013 Ram system. What the frig is going on here?? When is this lunacy going to end??? Now I'm stuck with over $150K of brand new equipment I can't use for the purpose I bought it. I took this to the Sales Manager (who thought I was happy and he was finally rid of me!!) In disbelief, he immediately took this back to the parts department only to find out what I had told him was in fact true. He has acted on this and I am now waiting to find out what the solution for this problem is!!! I am SO frickin' annoyed.

I cannot fricking believe that Ram changed a product without taking into consideration that there are no parts out there to satisfy demand required for the change to be effective. That they would change a product to the point of making it totally useless for the purpose they are being bought because they didn't have the insight that the changes might render the client base equipment not transferrable to the new product.