Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

It's plain and simple, it's a way for them to save money. They have their assembly line setup to make the pos crimped Y pipe, has been that way for years. Bottom line is the truck's still run great with them so they are not going to spend more money on new tooling and R & D to make a prettier pipe. that might net a 3-5% gain on a stock to mildly modified truck. Like I tell everyone who has doubts about these 4th gen trucks. Stick your foot in the throttle and watch how quickly the engine pullls through the upper rpms. It just would not do that with any "major" exhaust restriction. I honestly would not bother with a Y pipe replacement unless I had plans for headers and/or some kind of forced induction. That said, I too would love to see a dyno comparison on the same truck with just a Y- pipe mod vs. stock. But I'm a cheap azz here lately so take my 2 cents for what it's worth. I learned a while back not to get caught up jumping on the " forum modification band wagon" I spent quite a bit of $$ on my last ride thinking I would keep it for at least 7-8 years, traded it in one year later on the Ram.