View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

I just got back from a trip to CO in mine. I was quite happy. Williston ND to Gillette WY is the hilly mileage killing drive. I kept to 60 mph, which is just fast enough to cajole the truck against its will into "6th" gear. Revs are right at 1500 rpm. My A/C was off as it was cool outside - perfect driving weather. 20.2 mpg was the number by the calculator.

Next morning I gt up and filled the truck to make the haul to my folks place in Aurora, CO. Again, I set the cruise to 60 after working my way through the town of Gillette. Terrain starts a general downhill trend, with a climb into Cheyenne and an obvious drop to Ft. Collins. This particular stretch had the instant MPG bar pegged almost constantly I filled the truck at the Costco in Aurora, CO. The calculator revealed a new high tank for me at 24.7 mpg. Again the weather was cool enough to keep the A/C off and windows up.

The tank for the drive home included about 10 miles of in town driving with the computer reporting 9 mpg for the short putzing around town. I also had a large TV console in the bed wrapped in a tarp for the drive home. It was much warmer on this drive, making A/C use necessary. I continue to keep the truck to a max of 60 mph. I fill in Gillette, WY again, with the calculator revealing a 22.8 mpg average.

The final run back to Williston was warm, windy and back in the hilly terrain. I continued to maintain the 60 mph max speed with the final fill at the pumps where I work showing that I averaged 20.2 mpg.

The fills in Gillette and Aurora were both with 91 octane gas.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)