View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

Realistically, prices for swapping out a motor are going to be far in excess of what the truck is likely worth.

However, IF you want to get into the highly addictive, expensive and potentially relationship killing world of modding. There are significant things you can do. a well used 360 won't be that hard to find. Or use your 318 as a base. A little work and a stroker kit for that to take to 383/390ci can safely net you in the 400hp/400tq range and still function as a daily driver. not to mention with that long stroke the torque will come on strong down low.
Realistic cost? probably $3k if you can do some work yourself. You would need to then build up the trans - assuming the one you have is solid, figure another grand and some more wrench time. Swap out the gear sets to something in the high 3's and your truck would be a launching monster!

modding is fun, and addictive, but can also be frustrating as all get out if you're early to the scene, or you want to go really wild.
About 15 years ago (gve or take) I started modding out my supercharged Regal GS. I spent lots of money. had a lot of fun. left a LOT of surprised looks on a number of peoples faces. and spent the better part of 3 years and god only knows how much money finding out what worked, and what didn't. I went from mild to wild to dammit I'm fixing this thing more than I drive it to demodding it to remodding it to outright selling it.

After that adventure, I highly suggest looking at your real purpose. is the truck your daily driver? is mod truck the vehicle you want to have the most? Do you have the time to put into wrenching? do you have the cash? If the answer is yes, then I say mod it out - but be conservative. stick with mods that have been time tested and proven. stick with the mild end of the spectrum. With that, you will have fun, and still enjoy your truck

You said you're in school. so money is probably low to non-existent. Sadly, the only suggestion (not advice) I will give there is either move to a quicker vehicle, or just plain wait it out.

OTOH - if you live in an area where it's feasible.... get a bike. they can be had for a relatively low level of cash if you shop hard. and even a modest one will more than satisfy your need for acceleration.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.

Last edited by anothernewb; 08-02-2013 at 05:15 PM.