Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
coyboy is on a distinguished road
Default pleased so far

Was doing a little research on towing and found this forum. Anyways, I just got my 3.6L 4x4 quad cab a few weeks ago. I'm on my second tank of gas. I got 21.8 mpg with the first tank. the info center was saying I was getting 23.5 so actually getting about 1.7 mpg less then it says I'm averaging. However, on that tank of gas my wife drove the truck a lot and I even let another guy drive it while we hauled some furniture about 20 miles. I did not put my ropes in it (from my other truck) and one item was tall so I rode in the back and held onto the furniture. I was sitting on a cedar chest (not the side rail)...). I'm about half way through the second tank and with me driving 90% (wife still wants to drive it and I cave in) of the time it says I am getting 24.1 right now. I drive mostly highway but do have to go up and down a mountain nearly every time I go somewhere and the roads around here are usually hilly. I drove it up to Foster Falls last week and climbed a long grade from Jasper Tn going up towards Tracy City. I do drive reasonably slow, usually 60 MPH on a 65 MHP highway but I also usually drive 60 MPH on a 55 MPH highway...I just like driving at that speed if conditions are safe. I also dont gun it at takeoff. Before this I drove a small 2 wheel drive Nissan Frontier King Cab (traded it in on the Ram) that was a 4 cylinder straight shift. I got about 25 mpg driving it. Before that I had a Colorado 2WD (straight shift as well) with the 3.5 L 5 cylinder and got around 27 mpg but it was not an extended cab. I just bought a JD 4wheeler and towed it to the dealership for some work and my Nissan struggled getting it up the mountain (had to pull a mountain going to dealership and then coming home since I live on one mountain the JD dealership is on another mountain at Arab) Interestingly, this truck is only rated to tow 700 lbs more than the Frontier but I just cant imagine it would not tow that 700 extra lbs a lot easier. I am not missing the straight shift at all and for the first time ever have a truck with power windows. Anyways, bottom line, the truck is rated at 23/16 MPG HY/City and if I can average 22 mpg for my daily driving then I am well pleased. I actually think I can beat the 23 MPG on a trip, especially if I head south or west instead of to the Smokys like I plan to do soon.

PS looking to add a ladder rack to haul my longer kayaks. A toy hauler would be sweet (for camping with the Gator) but out of the budget for now. plus most of them weigh too much (especially since I did not go with the 5.7L)