View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

I drove lots of trucks before settling on my ram. I was probably a total nuisance at the dealers, lol I also looked at the 5.0 and the ecoboost fords. Yes the ecoboost did move the truck out pretty quick, but in several test drives I also noticed some good turbo lag especially at those ~25mph break points, if I was cruising and needed power. the lag was significant. There, both the 5.0 and the ram hemis outclassed it IMO. True, when the boost came on the truck sure did move.

In the end, the 8 speed and the hemi I thought was far more refined in terms of power delivery and smoothness. Not that I would disuade anyone from getting the ecoboost if they desired it, but it wasn't enough of a boost for me to overcome the sticker difference. the 5.0 is clearly the lower performance of the three there, but I think it drove better. sure it didn't have the highway acceleration or the midrange grunt. The 6 speed works well with that motor. None of the ford powertrains came close to the smoothness of the Tundras I test drove, but the ram 8 speed was close enough to be on par. but in truth, for my type of driving, it's fine. Like has been said, the interior of the ram is quieter, (and the look of the truck a bit sharper IMO) However, if The dealer would not have been able to locate a deep cherry with a sunroof, I could have driven away in a 5.0 fx4 and been happy with it.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.