View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Rep:10
Seadweller is on a distinguished road
Default New Member Needs Quick Advice - Differential Issue

Hi Everyone!

New member...We just bought my son his first vehicle, a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with Hemi engine and 113K miles...The truck is in spectacular condition for its age, and came with an excellent service history...We test drove it through neighborhoods, so never really got above 40MPH...Fortunately, we bought it from a dealer that offered a 60 day, unlimited mileage warranty...

Driving it home, I noticed a whine that seems to be coming from the rear end at speeds over 40MPH...It whines during cruise or mild acceleration, but stops when you lift your foot off the gas...I spent the better part of last night researching this, and it was an eye opener to see the issues with the 9.25 LSD in these trucks...Of course, I was up all night worrying about it...

I brought it to the dealer, and just spoke to the service writing a hour ago...He said they are "researching the issue, but it's likely normal for a vehicle of this age"...I don't believe there's anything normal about it, and furthermore, the whine will drive you nuts because the frequency cuts right through the stereo...I can't imagine an hour drive with that whine...

I'm guessing it's likely a pinion bearing, but of course I read about the dreaded clutch pack retainer clips as well...I don't believe the dealer has even taken the cover off the differential yet...I also have a 3 day period where I can give the truck back to the dealer, no questions asked, and that expires tomorrow...

What do you guys believe is the issue? I thought of making the dealer an offer; I'll pay for a Detroit DTT, if they install it and don't charge me for labor...I would imagine while the DTT is going in, a rebuild kit would also be in order (bearings, etc.)....

Any advice would be most appreciated, as I'm going to be out of runway soon...

Thanks!

Last edited by Seadweller; 08-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored links