View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

If the whine is that pronounced then you are definitely correct about it not being normal. That sounds very shady for the service writer to tell you it was normal. That's BS!!

My guess would be the same. It's very likely one of those two issues. I'm not sure about the procedure for diagnosing a faulty pinion bearing but the clutch pack issue is easy enough to determine by simply pulling the cover. You will either find the clips still in place or swimming around in the diff fluid, possibly in pieces.

I think I would give them the option. Either diagnose it properly and to my standards or take it back. Sounds like a nice truck otherwise so I'm guessing you would rather not give it back but if you keep it as-is, be prepared to foot this bill yourself because it sounds like a certainty.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.