Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Thunder Roa
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
WIKD RAM is on a distinguished road
Default Honest Discussion About Exhaust Flow

Alright, I have heard many an argument over mufflers and flow rates and which exhaust system is best. I want an honest discussion from someone who knows their stuff on this subject.

I hear the Magnaflow fans rave about the "wide open" design and how much it flows.

I hear the Flowmaster fans talk about backpressure and scavenging of exhaust gases.

U hear Dynomax fans claim that their mufflers are the best...

So someone please help me out. What good does a super, high flow muffler do on an engine that isn't a 500HP+, all out race motor?

Will you lose low end torque with a more open muffler?

How exactly does exhaust scavenging work and what are the benefits?

I will make it known now that I am a Flowmaster man. I have had Flows on everything that I have ever owned and have one on my 2006 Hemi now. But I am open to something else if someone can PROVE to me that one muffler or the other is truly better or worse.

My truck is stock, save the muffler, FOR NOW. I will not be racing it. I will not be pulling stumps or hauling bulldozers with it. It is just a daily driver that I plan on throwing a few bolt on mods in the near future. (CAI, programmer, etc)

So what is best or better for a stock Hemi? A Borla race muffler that flows 1100 cfm is great, but what good does that do me with a stock motor?

Thanks.
Sponsored links