Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: sport
Color: gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ramcfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ48 View Post
I dont know if the hemi/8 speed will beat an ecoboost in a drag race if they are driven properly. The '13 ecoboost/3.73 I had was a pretty quick truck when it wanted to be. But unlike having a large displacement V8 with the torque always there you knew you had a 6 cylinder and were at the turbo's, transmission's and computers's mercy driving around, not to mention the ecoboost's washing machine-like exhaust note wasnt really appealing.

I found the ecoboost to be a little boring, I know they supposedly toned down the '13s to help with the dreaded ecoboost full throttle shutdown in the rain but I wasnt super-impressed. Like a diesel they do tow well when heavily loaded, but around town there is some lag. I'm all for turbos/forced induction but IMO the ecoboost isnt 100% perfected yet. Your oil smelling like raw gasoline after a thousand miles is a little off-putting as well.

As far as fuel mileage I had to really baby the ecoboost to get the same mpg as the hemi rams I have owned in the city (13.3 mpg or so). Highway the ecoboost was maybe 1mpg batter, but once again you were scared to keep into the throttle for a long period of time with the ecoboost since the mileage dropped like a stone.

I'm not slamming the Ford, having raced turbo V6 buicks and other small displacement forced induction combos for years its a great concept. But the direct injection complicates things a bit and until they figure out the stumbling and killing catalytic converters I'll stick to a good old naturally aspirated V8. If I didnt have a '12 Hemi Ram Laramie before the '13 ecoboost I most likely would have thought the ecoboost was an awesome truck. IMO the '13 F150 was a step down from the '12 Ram I had, with a 4K higher msrp to boot. The '13 ram is an upgrade form the '12 I had so it makes the Ford even more a step down.

But I dont tow or haul heavy, if you are towing a heavy trailer and insist on a 1/2 ton you can configure the Ford to have a lot more cargo capacity, of course you lose that car-like ride though..

Good write up. I know with mine I was always aware of of when those turbos spooled up and the fuel sucking results. I also couldn't agree more with the statement "I found the ecoboost to be a little boring". I just could never get into the truck like I am with the ram.