View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default Full Syn

Well, I don't change my own oil except for my lawn tractor. I always take my truck, cars and bike to the dealer because I want the factory brand of oil filter, quality of service including torque spec on the plug, and to avoid the mess and disposal. I change at 5K. While I'm told that all big name oils are good, I only use full synthetics because they withstand a higher temperature before breaking up, will begin flowing faster in cold weather, and I just simply put my faith and trust in claims that full synthetics offer a reduced wear factor. Here is what I go with:
Ram - Mopar full syn
Ford Focus - Motorcraft full syn
Corvette - Mobil 1 full syn
Harley - Harley Syn-3 (a full syn)
John Deere - Pennzoil full syn.
I'm a bit of a fanatic about oil changes and always stop at the first opportunity after service to verify that I'm at the full mark on the dipstick.

For anyone considering saving money by going to one of those "fast oil change stations", you are not in the long run as they all use a generic
no-name filter, and you may get a trainee service tech on his first day at the job. There is one chain in particular, which I won't mention, who often cheats customers by not changing the filter at all.

For those of you who change your own oil, I'm sure you do so because you believe that "if you want the job done right, do it yourself", and it's far less expensive too. My congrats to you all ! Me, I don't want oil and grease on my dresses, nor my nail polish messed up, lol !